Saturday, August 8, 2015

Quest to Make Something Unique

I'm approached by friends and clients with design suggestions. It's very thoughtful of them to think about me when they are looking around in the market or browsing and then sending me reference images of designs. Please do continue sending me reference images.

In the process of making something most unique involves and extensive search of existing designs. The fact that some design is available in the market is the reason I'm not making such designs.

When a particular design and pattern has been already created by a fellow artist discourages me to explore in that direction. However, it inspires me to work on some particular kind of trend that trending.

Here I would like to mention pompoms. I had worked on pompom designs around two years back and even for Diwali last year. The response was good. However, I didn't explore them much. But now again, since the trend has caught on well thought of working on some designs. Here is the first glimpse of pompom accessories of little girls. Pompoms have a very cute appeal. In the design, the pompoms add colour, the gota patti adds the glitter and pearls the soft charm.

Pompoms are readily available in the market in all traditional colours. But when we wish to make something in non traditional colours then the only resort is to make these pompoms by ourself. My maid helped me make some of the pompoms. There is a small unit which helps in making pompoms though it is a time taking process but the resulting pompoms are much better than the readymade ones.

The yarn used is acrylic baby wool, however if one wants to make large pompoms then using the normal or thicker yarn will help. There are much simpler ways to make pompoms at home, google it or pinterest helps.

We are planning a unique range of pompoms western jewellery kids with non traditional colours stay tuned. Till then let us make the most of the coming festivals with the pompom range of accessories.

I feel there is a dearth of good ethnic jewellery for little girls and thus have worked on hairclips, headchains, hairbands and bangles to begin with.

I'm particularly excited as some of these designs are debuting on firstcry.com hopscotch.in and Curious Village, Ludhiana store soon.

Do leave your comments on these designs. I'm waiting.........

No comments: